New York State CE Course Requirements


As described by New York State’s licensing and regulatory authority, Office of the Professions of the NYS Education Department, courses should be sponsored through an approved provider, including NYDHA, and be on approved subject matter – see below for topics and click here for information and providers.


Practicing hygienists in New York State are required to take 24 credit hours every three years (license renewal is every three years). At least 14 of those hours must be live programs - those in which you are able to interact with the instructor.


RDHs also must take:


· Once, a two-hour course on identifying and reporting of child abuse and maltreatment to apply initially for licensure or for a limited permit (Education Law, Section 6507(3)(a)). Since September 1, 1990, programs registered by New York State that lead to such licensure or certification have been required to include child abuse training. Students graduating from such programs on or after this date are not required to take additional training and are not required to receive a certification form and submit documentation. For a list of providers, go to the Office of the Professions web site here

· Every four years, a course in infection control every four years (Education Law, Section 6505-b).You must attest to having completed this on your first licensure / registration application and at every subsequent registration. For a list of providers, go to the Office of the Professions web site here


Appropriate Course Subjects: The subject matter must contribute to dental hygiene professional practice as defined in Education Law Section 6601. Such subjects include:


  • basic and clinical dental sciences
  • behavioral science
  • pharmacology of new and developing drugs
  • drug interactions
  • public health issues
  • child abuse reporting
  • infection control
  • sterile procedures
  • legal or regulatory issues
  • patient counseling
  • risk management
  • other topics that contribute to the practice of your profession; and
  • other matters of health care, law, and ethics that contribute to the public's health and welfare


Recordkeeping:When you complete a continuing education program, you’ll be provided with a certificate by an approved provider which you should keep in your records in the event you are asked to produce these in the future. You’ll need to attest to fulfilling required coursework on your first licensure and on renewals.